Code Enforcement News - News about code enforcement

Code Enforcement News

News about code enforcement

Notices of Public Nuisances?

Posted by admin On September 17th

We have been utilizing a “Notice of Public Nuisance” (NPN) posting and certified mail for a number of years for overgrowth and abatement.  I am investigating the feasability of expanding that use to any “abatable” violation ie:

grass, junk, abandoned vehicles, securing homes posing as attractive nuisances, etc…

I believe IPMC 108.1.5 (7) & 108.2 will cover the securing of abandoned structures.

Any information or other recommendations out there?

Shawn Horton

(941) 764-4148



2 Responses

  1. Cindy Sanner Says:

    When I can’t get anyone to correct the violations, I post the property for abatement, the process of which is covered under our code 8-52.(check Municode) I have a separate abatement fund for this. The properties have to be approved by the City Manager first. I post the properties and send the letters out certified return receipt, then wait 10 days before giving our contractor the go-ahead to mow, etc. So far, we only mow or remove trash. We’ve never had to remove any vehicles. Call me if you have any questions.
    Cindy 727-937-0017

    Posted on September 18th, 2013 at 10:18 am

  2. Dave Whitty Says:

    Shawn, check out the City of Apopka’s Municipal Code, Chapter 42, Article II in Municode. If it’s not there, please let me know. Thanks!

    Posted on May 16th, 2014 at 10:05 am

Leave a Reply